KSP Banner KSP Banner

Driver Testing Driver License FAQ

This page features a number of common frequently asked questions we receive at the Kentucky State Police Driver Testing Branch.  If you have a question and cannot find the answer to it on this page, please feel free to contact us for the answer by clicking here.

Q. I'll have to leave work to take my child for his road test. Can someone else come with him/her?

A. Yes. Anyone who is 21 years old or older and holds a valid driver's license can accompany him/her.

Q. I tried to get a driver manual to study for a permit test and was told they don't print them anymore. How can I study for the test?

A. There are several options for you. The manual is accessible online at the Kentucky State Police web site: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/pdf/2012_ky_drivers_manual_op.pdf

Q. I have heard that it's not really necessary to study for the permit test because it requires mostly common sense answers. Is that true?

A. No. For the most part you are being tested on information that is learned so it's important to study the driver manual which will give you a better chance of passing the test.

Q. My driver's license was expired for over 5 years so I had to retake the permit and road test. I failed the road test even though I had been driving for over 30 years.

A. Everyone who takes a road test is required to meet certain minimum performance standards to pass, regardless of age or driving history. Sometimes, as drivers get older they form poor driving habits which can result in a road test failure. The principles you learn when you study for the permit test should be incorporated into your driving. If you do that, you should do well on your road test.

Q. I know you're supposed to use your turn signals at least 100' before a turn, but it's hard for me to estimate how far that is.

A. If you line up 6 to 7 cars bumper to bumper it's approximately 100', so as you approach a turn pretend those cars are parked at the side of the road and turn on your turn signal no later than the back of that line of cars.

Q. I'm coming soon to take a permit test but have been having some vision problems. Is that something I should take care of before I come?

A. Yes. If you have an uncorrected vision problem or haven't seen a vision specialist for a while, it would be best to do that before you come for the written test because everyone must pass a vision test before a permit or license test can be administered. If your doctor prescribes glasses or contacts, bring them with you. If you have an uncorrectable vision problem such as a lazy eye, bring a doctor's statement describing the condition.

Q. My daughter is a good driver but is very nervous about taking the road test. Is there anything that could help her with that?

A. This is a very common problem but the causes of nervousness vary from one person to the next. The following is a list of common causes and possible solutions that may help:

  • A road test is a lot like any test you'd take at school; the more you prepare for it the less anxious you'll feel about it. After receiving your permit, drive as often as possible so that your driving skills become second nature to you
  • Drive a car you're familiar with for the test. It takes time for any driver to get used to a different car
  • Try not to rush through the test. Take your time and think about each maneuver
  • Don't tell your friends about your road test until you've passed it.
  • Having someone grade your driving skills is unnerving to a lot of people. It might help to know that the examiner hopes your driving skills will allow you to pass the first time.

Q. When I'm coming up to an intersection and the light turns yellow, I don't always know whether I should try to stop or go on through. Is there a way to judge that?

A. As with other driving skills, it takes both knowledge and experience to know what the best decision would be. As you approach an intersection with a traffic light, always be prepared to stop by keeping an eye on the light so you'll know as soon as it changes. If it changes to yellow and you can bring your car to a smooth, safe stop behind the stop line or crosswalk area, then you should do so. If you have to stop abruptly, or if your car will end up on the stop line or crosswalk area, then it would be a better choice to go on through. You may enter an intersection on a yellow light if necessary, but it is against the law to enter the intersection on a red light. Never speed up to try to make it through a light if you can stop safely.

Q. I have trouble reading in school but someone told me I can get an oral test for my permit. Do I have to make an appointment for it?

A. If your county administers tests on computers you will not need to make an appointment. The computers are equipped with a handset which allows you to take your test orally. If paper tests are given in your area, you should contact the driver examiner for information on scheduling an oral test.

Q. How do I take the written permit test if I am deaf or hard hearing?

A. Contact the license examiner in the county you live in. The examiner will contact the Commission of Deaf and Hard Hearing, at 800-372-2907, and schedule a date and time for you to test with an interpreter.