KSP Banner KSP Banner

Frequently Asked Questions

This page features a number of common frequently asked questions we receive at the Kentucky State Police. If you have a question and cannot find the answer to it on this page, please feel free to contact us for the answer by clicking here.

What should I do if I have misplaced a traffic citation?

The Kentucky State Police does not maintain a database on traffic citations issued. In order to located the information, you may attempt either of the following two alternatives:

  1. If you know the county you were in when you received the traffic citation, you may contact the Circuit Clerk of the county for further information regarding your traffic citation; or
  2. If you are unsure of the county, you must contact the Administrative Office of the Court. They may be contacted during business hours at 502-573-2350

Does the Kentucky State Police have a "ride along" program?

Yes. The Kentucky State Police does have a "ride along" program. If you are interested contact the Post of your area. To find your post, click here.

Where can I obtain information regarding Kentucky road conditions?

The quickest method for learning the current Kentucky road conditions is to dial 511 within Kentucky.  Outside of Kentucky, dial 1-866-737-3767.

You can also visit the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Kentucky Road Report website by clicking here.

Can I have a background check performed on myself?

The Kentucky State Police Records Branch, Name Search Section, conducts background checks for employment, licensing, and other similar purposes, as authorized by the Kentucky Revised Statutes.

To obtain the release form for a background check please click here. For additional information on this service please contact the Kentucky State Police Criminal Dissemination Section at 502-227-8700. Business hours are M-F 8-4:30 EST

There is a $20.00 fee charged for each background check, and they must be submitted in person, or by mail. No electronic transmissions or faxes are accepted for this service.

How can I report suspected criminal or traffic information?

Reporting Criminal/Traffic Violation Activity:

If you have information regarding criminal or traffic activity that is of a NON-EMERGENCY nature, please contact your local Kentucky State Police Post.

If you have information regarding criminal or traffic activity that is of an EMERGENCY nature, please call our toll free hotline at 1-800-222-5555 (in the state of Kentucky only, does not work out of state), your local police and/or sheriff's department, or 911.

How can I find out which KSP Post serves my county?

Click here to locate the nearest KSP Post or the post that serves your home county.

How can I obtain a copy of an accident report?

Kentucky State Police collision reports can be purchased electronically at www.kyonlinereports.com.

To obtain a copy of a traffic collision report a person needs to contact the Investigating Agency. Each agency has a different dissemination procedure.

The Kentucky State Police procedure for requesting a copy of a collision report is as follows:

An authorized person may obtain a copy of a collision report, in person or by written mailed request, from the Kentucky State Police Post that worked the collision. Written requests made to the Kentucky State Police must include a self addressed/stamped envelope.

The cost of a copy of a paper collision report is $5.00 per report. Payments submitted to the Kentucky State Police must be by check or money order made payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer. Payment for a requested collision report must be received by the Kentucky State Police before a copy of the report will be disseminated.

Persons authorized to receive copies of a Collision Report per KRS. 189.635 include:

  1. Parties to the accident;
  2. Parents or guardians of a minor who is a party to the accident;
  3. Insurers or their written designee for insurance business purposes of any party who is the subject of the report;
  4. Attorneys of the parties

How can I find out if a convicted sex offender lives in my neighborhood?

Simply click here to search the SOR database. You can also register for active notification of sex offender movements. Click here for more details on active notification.

How can I obtain an application to become a Kentucky State Trooper?

Applications can be requested via mail, downloaded at this website, or picked up at any of the 16 Kentucky State Police posts.

Click here to visit our recruitment page for more information.

What are the minimum requirements to be a Kentucky State Trooper?

Must be at least 21, a US Citizen, posses a high school diploma or GED.

You MUST have ONE of the following: 60 hours from an ACCREDITED college or; 2 years ACTIVE duty military or; 2 years FULL TIME SWORN law enforcement experience.

Click here to visit our recruitment page for more information.

When/where is the next test for becoming a Kentucky State Trooper?

The testing dates and locations will be posted on the web site when they are scheduled.

They are also attached to the application if they have been scheduled.

If there are no dates scheduled applicants will be notified by mail IF they have an application on file.

Click here to visit our recruitment page for more information.

I have questions about the CCDW license. Can you answer them?

Visit our CCDW information page to learn more about the program and for CCDW Frequently Asked Questions.

What should I do when stopped by the police?

Take the following steps to make a traffic stop less stressful for both you and the police officer.

  • Pull the vehicle off the road.
  • Remain calm.  Do not be argumentative.
  • Remain in the vehicle unless ordered out.
  • Turn off your engine, headlights, radio and cellular phone.
  • Turn on your flasher lights.
  • Keep both hands on the steering wheel (10 and 2 position).
  • Roll down the driver's side window.
  • Comply with the officer's requests.
  • Tell the officer what you want to do before doing anything.
  • Tell the officer where your license and registration are before retrieving them.

How do I add/remove my phone number from the KY SOR Alert Line?

Simply call 866-564-5652 (toll free) and asked to be added or removed from the Alert Line Registry.  Your request will be processed immediately.

For more information on the Kentucky Sex Offender Alert Line, click here.

Where can I obtain information regarding Kentucky Open Records Act/Open Records Request?

Click here to download the document about the Kentucky Open Records Act/Open Records Request.

Civilian Accident Report FAQ

Q. An officer handed me this form to fill out. What do I do now?

A.Complete the form and make 2 copies, one for your records and one for your insurance company. Mail the original to:

Kentucky State Police Records
Attn: Crash
1266 Louisville Road
Frankfort, KY 40601

Q.I forgot to make a copy. What do I do now?

a. You may print a blank form from our public website at www.kentuckystatepolice.org/word/KSP_232_Civilian_Collision_Report_rev_0911.doc and submit the form again.

b. You may mail in a written request for a copy of the form, including your name, the date and county of the collision, and a $5 check or money order made payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer.

Q.I mailed in the form but I haven't heard anything back.

A. You will not hear anything back from the records department. There is no further investigation on our part. We are simply the state repository. We maintain a copy of your report for a period of three years in the event that you misplace your copy.

Q. Do I need to mail in any additional information, such as a copy of my insurance card?

A.No. Any documentation that is received other than the civilian collision report form will be either shredded or returned to you. Please do not include pictures, insurance cards, driver's licenses, etc. We can only maintain the civilian collision report in our database.